Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Welcome to Oregon! (1718.7 mi +59.7 -73.1)

Tracker Photos (You can add yourself to the Google Photos album to get notified when the blog updates.)
I'm in Oregon! Pretty hyped up to have made it out of California. CA was great, but I am ready to move on.

Leaving Etna was a bit more difficult than expected. Mostly because we ended up getting lunch in town before we left, so it was a short day out. We only made it 10 miles on the day, when I had originally planned a full day. Denny Bar (a distillery in Etna) was an awesome place to get lunch, though.

The next day was a pretty standard 31 mile day, with some rain at the end of the day. I used my phone a bunch, stopping to talk to my family for a bit whenever I had service. I got rained on a bit at the end of the day, camping at the end of a dirt road. (With a bunch of other hikers, including Third Wind, Train Wreck, and Lost & Found, who I've been with consistently since Etna.)

The resupply from Etna to Seiad Valley was very short. The descent on Saturday was awful: overgrown trail and fallen trees all over the place. But I got down by lunch, and ate in Seiad Valley for lunch after a frustrating 15 mile morning. The 10 miles at the end of the day were hot and uphill, but the heat broke when a thunderstorm rolled in. It's been nice remembering how to hike in and around the rain, but I'm hoping I get some dry nights in the future.

On Sunday I saw a helicopter dropping water on some new fires started by the lightning. Other than that the day was uneventful, until we got to the state border! We hung out a bunch there, with a few other hikers including Tea Time, who hiked with us a few miles at the end of the day to our tentsite, again on a dirt road. (This one was rockier, which didn't matter after my pad was inflated, but was annoying while cooking dinner.)

Yesterday we got into Ashland for lunch, and are doing another zero here today. (The header includes today's zero.) Oregon has been wonderful for the first few miles, and people here have been so nice! I think I'm going to be pretty close to Portland for my long weekend off trail starting on August 19th. 

I am very amused by housing comparisons between Etna, CA and Ashland, OR. In Etna, our AirBnB host talked about how they use strict zoning to prevent buildings from being "too close to each other or on top of each other". (This was shortly after talking about how charming the downtown was. The downtown is all multi-story contiguous buildings...) In Ashland I've seen my first ongoing construction, with our trail angel hosts mentioning that there has been a lot of new construction responding to increased demand.

- Happy Meal, 1069

No comments:

Post a Comment