Sunday, August 29, 2021

First Frost! (2295.9 mi +90.9 -136.1)

Tracker Photos (Add yourself to the album to get update notifications)

I got to see Mt. Ranier today!

Leaving Trout Lake went smoothly. But that night it got cold. Literally freezing cold. I got to see the morning frost on some plants for the first time on trail. I'm pretty stoked, but I also need a warmer hat, and maybe some gloves.

Before I got into my campsite on that first night, I got tons of good views of Mt. Adams. I particularly like the photos near sunset when the low-angle sun only hits the mountain. I probably should have been making dinner in camp by then, but I got delayed. By huckleberries.

The first two days out of Trout Lake had so many huckleberries! They are so good that I felt like I was doing more foraging than hiking for a lot of the early afternoon. I probably ate a full cup of the two days. There are some that are on trail at convenient hand-height. But there are more and larger berries available if you're willing to go off trail into the patch. And I was more than willing.

Today has been amazing in its own way. I was exposed for a significant section (~10 miles) for the first time since the Sierras. The views were incredible, both back towards Mt. Adams and off to the side to see Mt. Ranier. And all of the ridges and creeks that I don't know the name of, but was happy to hike through and take pictures of.

After I got back below treeline this afternoon, it was just smooth downhill cruising to White Pass. Now I'm waiting for my pizza in Packwood, and am planning to do all of my resupply tomorrow, since it's getting late tonight.

- Happy Meal, 1124


No comments:

Post a Comment