Sunday, March 19, 2017

Travel AKA Prologue

My travel was as enjoyable as I expected to be. After an overnight bus got me to NYC at 5, I got to the airport around 7, for a 12:45 flight. Thankfully, I had plans for my time to kill. Travel has always been a good excuse for media consumption marathons for me. Also, walk around every two hours when you're on a plane. (I got up and walked around at every paragraph break.)

Year Zero was as good a book as it was recommended as. It was mostly satire, with the best parts being its comments on copyright law, border law, and Windows. It was structured as an alien first contact, which made the satire of human society even better. I finished Year Zero about an hour into my 15.5 hour flight.

Up next: Your Name (Kimi no Na wa). This Japanese animated film is coming to North American theaters on 4/7. This movie is always advertised as a Freaky Friday-type thing between two high schoolers of opposite genders. That's where it starts, but it eventually progresses in cool ways. I had been excited to see it since it started winning awards in Japan, and this was the part of my flight that I had mostly looked forward to.

Sometime during Your Name I got served a decent helping of Ballantine's Scotch, and then a full meal. That helped me pass out for two hours, which was much needed.

I then woke up, and began trying to convince myself it was the middle of the night. Since that didn't work, I watched Arrival. Arrival was a good movie, bit a couple of point bothered me. During the first contact scene, we hear Louise breathing heavily, presumably over a microphone. That sound really annoyed me. It isn't that hard to design a microphone that filters out breathing. As an example, they we in a helicopter a few scenes before, and they could barely hear the background noise while they were talking. Other than that it was a good movie.

The I slept for 3 hours, breaking my own 2 hour rule. I was appropriately groggy when I woke up.

I then started reading some short stories, courtesy of Brendan Ritter. I read Searcher, and then took an hour long nap.

My flight landed as I was reading Waveside Query, and I finished the book as I was waiting in the immigration line. I then met up with Chris and his dad.

I'm gonna stop there now, since Blogger seems to be arguing with the pictures I took. Rest assured that even though I enjoyed my travel, the main reason I'm here is to tour this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment