Saturday, March 25, 2017

Taroko Gorge

I'm currently hungover at a hostel in Bangkok, but trying to catch up with the past before moving on to the present.

After lunch, we spent some time in Taroko Gorge, a really cool canyon. There's a incredibly dangerous-looking road through the canyon, which apparently has falling rocks often enough that helmets are required for wandering around the area. Our first stop on the way was Swallow Grotto. My phone camera really sucks...




We then hit up the Silks Place hotel in the gorge, at a cool area where the gorge opens up enough to have a small town inside of it. We ate at the hotel, and I took a short nap during an Aboriginal Taiwanese duet. I woke up at the end, when audience participation was required, about as confused as I could reasonably be. I didn't understand the language of the instructions, and I was asleep for the demonstrations. It was simple enough that I caught on pretty fast. There was a No Pictures sign, sadly.

The next morning I ate a fairly standard Taiwanese hotel buffet, which I already miss, honestly. Dried mango and dried pineapple definitely added to the meal.




Still in the gorge, we stopped off at a couple more viewpoints, which were all pretty breathtaking. Apparently there is a hiking path that you can take through the gorge, but it's dangerous (and popular?) enough that you need to get a permit to hike even part of it. One of the viewpoints we stopped at was Kind Mother's Bridge (TN: probably). Apparently at least 3 bridges have been built in this location, since it's an area that gets hit with some crazy flood waters.



We then left the gorge, sadly. These pictures really don't do the scenery any justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment