Tracker Photos (You can add yourself to the Google Photos album to get notified when the blog updates.)
Next stop for packages is gonna be Ashland, with my estimated arrival on 7/30 (which is a Friday, so 8/2, that Monday, is probably more realistic):
Hold for PCT hiker ETA 7/30
Matt Wismer
c/o General Delivery
Ashland, OR 97520
It ended up being a "free" 44.1 trail miles to get north of the fire, and then I've been hiking fast from there to Burney. Now I've got two fire closures to come back and hike. There have been some cool off-trail sights recently, and it is beginning to get hot and dry again. Most of my water carries are around 10 miles still, but I had a 13.3 mile carry yesterday that worries me a bit. Hopefully it doesn't get worse between here and Oregon.
After calling some family members on Saturday morning, I had some weird bear canister-related constraints on where I could camp. Lassen National Park requires bear-proof containers for overnight food storage, which meant that my options when leaving Chester were either under 15 miles, to not enter the park, over 34 miles, to get past the park, or 19 miles, to stay at the campsite with bear lockers. I went with the 19, and ran into Bonobo and Third Wind, along with meeting Train Wreck. And a bunch of others, since the fire has caused a thru-hiker bubble by taking people who were hiking aross multiple days and putting them all in the same spot.
Getting to Warner Valley Camp had me pass by Terminal Geyser, which is the above photo. Apparently it's technically a steam vent and not a geyser, but I was nonetheless pleased.
Third Wind and Train Wreck went for the 24 hour challenge when leaving Warner Valley Camp on Sunday, and they successfully hiked over 50 miles in those 24 hours. Bonobo and I hiked a measely 34.4 miles (my furthest day so far), and wished them luck as it got dark.
Around 27 miles on Sunday there was a convenient gas station to get some extra calories at. And the Subway Caves, where I dropped my pack before entering, and so didn't have my phone to take pictures. Lava tubes are pretty cool, in case you were unsure.
I was definitely feeling the 34 miles when I started on Monday, but wanted to get into Burney anyway. Third Wind and Train Wreck split a room with me, and we all got takeout Chinese and went to bed by 7 pm. 10/10 great night, would recommend.
I'm now waiting for laundry to finish and wondering if I should get on trail around dinnertime and Nero out (probably 5-10 miles), or if I should take my first full Zero since staying with Chris and his parents in LA. Some tough decisions.
Happy Meal, 1334
No comments:
Post a Comment