Tracker Photos (You can add yourself to the Google Photos album to get notified when the blog updates.)
No new care package drop yet. It likely won't be for a couple of weeks, maybe even until I'm in Oregon.
This is a good picture, because I just turned off the PCT without realizing it, and would be walking next to the stunning Thousand Island Lakes for another 10 or 15 minutes before realizing that I wasn't climbing up to Donahue Pass the way I was supposed to be...
Last post left me in Mammoth, and my hitches in and out were definitely the most noteworthy. Into Mammoth I hitched with Arun, a 3-time JMTer who was doubtful he'd be able to go again anytime soon, given his 2.5 year old son. We talked a bit about housing in LA. (I didn't bring it up, I swear! It's been a frequent topic of conversation as we get into the areas that have been poisoned by the spillover from the SF and LA crises.) Anyway, he literally used the phrase "Not In My Backyard" when I referred to multifamily housing, but then assured me that the real NIMBYs were in the Bay Area, so it was fine. I was going through an internal emotional rollercoaster for sure. Then we got picked up by a couple who left their car interface in French and worked for JPL in Pasadena, which made for a cool change of topic.
The way out was just as noticeable, because I left my orange dry bag behind when I got picked up. It had everything electronic in it, except my phone in my pocket, as well as all my ID. John was more than happy to turn all the way around after I freaked out in the passenger seat, than we talked religion, politics, and generational change for a while in a way that was very enjoyable. Definitely my best conversation during a hitch, and it gave me some good things to think about on trail.
On the day out of Mammoth I did some side trails at John's recommendation, and ran into him hiking the other way twice, including shouting a final goodbye as he was eating lunch next to a roaring river that the PCT took a footbridge over. If you're ever in Mammoth, Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls come highly recommended, and are both pretty short hikes.
I only made 10 trail miles that day by 5 pm, because I ran into a group who stopped the day short to play D&D, many of them for the first time. I jumped into the conversation and then the game, playing a cleric to keep all of the new characters alive. Phone apps for 5th edition are pretty sweet, and we were camping on a rock with good cell service. I was the only one to almost die (to a trap after the main fight had ended, of course), as it should go. They mentioned continuing, though I ended up getting ahead of the group the next day.
The next day I went 27 miles to get into Tuolomne Meadows, a little general store I got a little resupply at. (Not including wandering around Thousand Island Lakes, off trail, for a mile or two.) I normally crave ice cream on trail, but their freezer was broken, so I drank two quarts of milk instead. Then I went to the Tuolomne Meadows Backpackers Campground, where I found a confusing phrase: "Walk-in Backpackers Campground 15 Minute Parking". Apparently many car campers use the Backpackers Campground because it's cheaper, so you can drive into the campground to drop off your stuff, and then put your car elsewhere overnight. (By elsewhere I of course mean street parking just outside the campground.) It made for a weird vibe, and I re-met Third Wind (previously Amanda seen between Walker Pass and Kennedy Meadows, South), and met Jon, who was hiking with her. We all left somewhat late the next morning, but managed 25 miles anyway.
I also forgot to charge my phone at Tuolomne, which, combined with aggressive battery usage while playing D&D, gave me just enough to get into Kennedy Meadows, North. So I didn't call anyone over the holiday weekend...
The next day, 4th of July, I was feeling my first 30 mile day since the Sierras. I woke up early and went out hard, and after 5.5 hours had made just over 10 miles. Which is, uh, not fast. The trail had other plans for me that day, getting "only" 23 miles in after what felt like my hardest day all week. Thanks, Yosemite.
The next day I did 25 by 4 pm to get into Kennedy Meadows, North, so it was just the one day that had to be ridiculously hard. Naturally the shuttle left at 3:30, so I got to see it load and hang out for a few minutes, while descending to Sonora Pass. Then it drove away while I was still descending. Getting a ride (from a Matt, none the less) was very easy, and happened when I passed him on trail, before getting to the pass.
In Kennedy Meadows, North (aka Kennedy Meadows Resort and Pack Station), Third Wind and Jon already booked a teepee for the three of us when I arrived. (They both were on the shuttle.) I received my bear canister from home, giving me two separate bear cans. Then, since bear cans are no longer needed north of Sonora Pass, I shipped one home and returned the other. The non-bear-can goods (a better poncho, resupply, and encouraging note) were very much appreciated, better late than never. Then I closed down the bar at 11 pm and woke up hungover the next day, after having slept away most of the morning. (I got up at 7:15, and the first shuttle out left at 10:00.)
Leaving Kennedy Meadows, North, I also ran into Bonobo, who has done a bunch of cycling around the world. Some good conversation made the day go fast, and now we had a group of 4. (Third Wind is named for her motivation coming late in the day, opposite to me, so often we wouldn't all necessarily camp together, but we tended to see each other at least once a day.)
And then we actually did a 30 mile day! Well, everyone but Jon, who laid up a few miles short. Went from mile marker 1040.0 to 1070.0, passing Kale going SOBO for a section. (Who I didn't know but others did.) This area had a ton of beautiful lakes, and was great to hike through. Wednesday was definitely the day I got closest to swimming in a lake, and did dip my feet a few times.
Finally, we made it to South Lake Tahoe. Third Wind contacted a trail angel for the 4 of us to stay with, but then Bonobo missed a message and Jon decided to stay on trail, so it's now me and Third Wind who just stayed the night with Kathy and Jon. They've been hosting hikers for a few years now, with the two of us as numbers 136 and 137. We are a wonderful taco salad and I was just given coffee while writing this post. It's been a great stay so far, but I'll be back on trail for at least a few miles today.
I still need to go into town for a resupply and a new pair of shoes, but those sound like problems for after breakfast.
No comments:
Post a Comment