Tuesday, January 14, 2020

PCT Hike Schedule +0 mi

I just applied for my PCT permit! That means I can start approximately planning out my trip, now that I almost have permission to hike. My trip will start at the southern terminus of the PCT on 5/16, assuming that my application gets approved.

To all of my friends who live on the West Coast, or who are willing to travel there: Want to meet up with and/or host me while I'm hiking? I would greatly appreciate company, food, a place to shower, and a day or so of rest. Want to hike a section with me? That would be even better.

Based on my leave of absence from work and the vacation days I've been saving up for a few years, I can take 4.5 months to do the hike. (Yes, I still have my job at Silicon Labs after the hike. Silicon Labs is an awesome company. Did you know that we're hiring?) 4.5 months is on the shorter end of average, based on the PCTA's estimates. I'll be able to hit my targets as long as I start the trail in good shape and don't have to wait out bad conditions, due to something like a major forest fire. If I can't complete the trail in the time I have, I'll go back to work and come back another year to finish off what remains.

For scheduling, that means is that I'll be traveling 20 miles a day on average. This includes rest days, so my average on days when I'm hiking will be closer to 25 miles a day. I won't hit that number like clockwork, but instead will go faster or slower as the terrain and my body dictate. I hope to stay within a week of "on pace" at all times, but the trail will provide its challenges. (And if you come join me on trail, I'm happy to hike at your pace while you're with me.) My blog posts from here on out will all have my speed relative to this itinerary, so +40 mi will mean that I'm 2 days ahead of schedule, and -100 mi will mean I'm 5 days behind. I'll be +0 mi until my start date.

Do you want to meet up? Check out this PCT map, and turn on the Waypoint location type in the gear-icon menu. Then find the most convenient places for you to come see me, and do the math on how many days it should take me to get there. If you want to come join me, do the same, but also check to see whether you will need permits to hike the sections you want to hike. If you want to meet up, I would ask you to be flexible either with location or with the date. If you want to hike a specific part with me, I can't guarantee when I'll be there. If you are buying plane tickets and want to hang out with me for a specific weekend, then I don't know exactly where I'll be at that point. I'll make hard plans about a week ahead of time as I go, and stick to those plans from there.

Some example locations, approximately the start of each month:

5/16 - 20 miles: First night out after the southern terminus
6/1 - 340 miles: Crossing I-15 north of LA
7/1 - 940 miles: Tuolumne Meadows Campground on Hwy 120
7/30 - 1520 miles - Crossing I-5 near Dunsmuir
8/31 - 2160 miles - The Bridge of the Gods on I-84 outside of Portland
9/30 - Back in Boston, remembering how civilization works

You'll be able to follow my daily progress, thanks to the magic of the Spot GPS tracker, which will have a website that I will try to check into each morning and night. I'll share the info once I get it set up. The Spot has a separate functionality built in for emergency response, and I will use that if necessary. (But obviously, I hope not to.) Don't worry if I miss a few regular check ins. There are plenty of reasons why I might not check in, ranging from a low battery that I'm conserving for a real emergency, a lost or broken tracker, and simple forgetfulness. If I don't check in for a while, I'm aware of it as much as you are, and I'm working to update you as feasible. The PCT has much worse cell coverage than the AT, so it's possible to get more than a week of pure radio silence. I'll again defer to the PCTA here for an explanation. (To those who care about my safety: Yes, I will have a person I contact at each resupply. Yes, I will set dates to next resupply, including clear definitions of when I count as late. No, you are not the person who should be taking any action, but thanks for caring.)

To those who are interested in meeting up: Let me know! Tell me about any weird scheduling constraints you have, like caring about the difference between a Saturday and a Wednesday. Between my 20 mi / day plan, my updating live tracker, and the occasional blog update, you should have a good idea of whether or not it's possible. As we get closer to the actual date and time, we can set up more concrete plans. I can't wait!


Matt "Am I still PG`14?" Wismer

1 comment:

  1. Wow Matt, That sounds like a fun adventure; But I will have to opt out on meeting up and joining the hike this time. :) I hope you have a blast whilst connecting with nature and contemplating the meaning of life out there on the trail. God Bless You in all your travels!

    ReplyDelete