Sunday, February 2, 2020

Official Approval and Civilization Checklist +0 mi

I got approval from the PCTA! It happened on Wednesday. My permit is now signed on my desk at home, ready to be carried for 2653 miles. Next steps involve buying a bunch of gear and continuing to improve my fitness level.

That's a short post on its own. I wanted to add something else to it, and my friend Max gave me an idea recently. After I finish the trail, I'll pretty much be going back to work ASAP. After the AT, I had a few weeks in order to re-acclimate to civilized society. So he suggested that I make a checklist for myself, for when I get back. Future Matt (PG'14 still?), here's what you'll need to do:

  • Stop eating so much. Even though food is *everywhere*.
  • Cook in ways other than boiling.
  • Smell like soap. People think soap smells good.
  • Ignore how everything smells fake and/or like food.
    • Take showers. Like, every day. With soap.
    • Do laundry. With laundry detergent.
    • Wash your hands. With soap. Water is clean now. You don't need to filter it.
    • Don't touch dirt. It's dirty.
    • Don't wear the same clothes two days in a row.
    • Don't take off your socks in public.
    • Keep your shirt on in public.
    • Don't take your pants off in public, even if you have shorts under them.
    • Take off your jacket inside. Completely inconsistent with the pants rule, I know.
    • Don't drink any caffeine for a few weeks.
    • Adjust your sleep schedule slowly. An hour after sunset is a fine bedtime.
    • Take breaks from screen time to stare at things far away.
    • Go exercise. It won't just happen. Hiking is a good option.
    • Make time to be alone. It won't just happen. Hiking is a good option.
    • Carry earplugs. Civilization is loud. Especially cars.
    • Be quiet inside. People are nearby. 
    • Don't sing to yourself unless you're alone.
    • Don't make noises when you stand up or stretch.
    • Just say no to social engagements. You're not ready for big groups yet.
    • Stand close to people you're talking to.
    • Talk when you're with people. Silence is weird. 
    • Don't talk about national politics. You've almost avoided the 2020 season. 
    • Nobody cares about your hiking gear anymore. 
    • Share anecdotes from your hike. That'll cover small talk for a few weeks.
    Past Matt

    1 comment:

    1. Depending on how long the COVID-19 Coronapocalypse last, you might need to reconsider the "Stand close to people you're talking to" tip. ;-)

      ReplyDelete