Thursday, September 9, 2021

Leavenworth (2465.2 mi +50.2 -136.1)

Tracker Photos (Add yourself to the album to get update notifications)


I spent a few days in Seattle being a tourist and seeing friends. Good times. I returned to Snoqualmie and restarted my hike by getting water. And leaving my dirty (as in unfiltered) water bag behind. Again. (Actually the 4th time at this point.) Thankfully I was in no rush, and realized it after just under an hour. So my first day out of Snoqualmie was 9 miles of hiking, but only 4 miles that counted.

Then Monday was interesting mostly because I took a wrong turn. I ended up skipping about a half mile of the PCT by accident. I'm not too bummed about it, because the path I took seemed to be harder than the actual PCT, particularly the ford of Lemah Creek. I almost managed to get across on the rock hop, but there was a tree stump that was floating as part of the hop. I decided to just walk along a submerged log instead of jumping onto a floating stump and maybe losing my balance.

Tuesday had another ford that I made it most of the way across before getting wet. This time I intentionally put my foot down on a shallow white-water bottom. It was only a single wet step to get across the creek, so naturally it was actually a pool more than 2 feet deep and I almost ate it. Got my left leg wet past the knee, but the bottom was stable. (It was in a location where even falling in would have been safe, because the part that continued downstream was only a few inches deep.) Honestly I was pretty pleased by getting my legs wet, because it's been hot and humid out. (Hot for WA and humid for the West, not actually that hot or that humid. Enough to complain about when going uphill, but lunch in direct sun is still pleasant.)

On Wednesday I got into Stevens Pass, and from there into Leavenworth, where I stayed the night. Smoke rolled in overnight, which was annoying to smell during the day. The climbs were pretty short but steep, so I was nice and sweaty after doing 17 miles by 3 pm. The town has a distinctive German/Swiss/Scandinavian architectural theme, and is surreal to walk through.

Today I'm planning to get back on trail, with only one more resupply at Stehekin before the end. I'm definitely not ready to go back to normal life yet.

- Happy Meal, 1137

No comments:

Post a Comment