Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Missing an important check-in (42.5, +0.5)

My Spot now has a night and a morning's worth of data, but I forgot to do a check-in at the Southern Terminus. Idiot. Here's photo evidence I was there.

The first day was a 20 mile water carry. Heavy. The second day had 19.5 miles before 4 pm, because Post Office hours.

As I hike in the sun, various small lizards and snakes scatter before me as I go. Except the rattlesnake. He just rattled, and I backed up until he was done sunning himself.

I'm planning to not really hike much between noon and 4 pm if I can avoid it, so expect to see early starts and late finishes most days. The sun is a deadly laser, and I intend to avoid it.

I took a bunch of photos near the start, because everything down here looks cool when you have fresh eyes. Here's the album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jucko3ePtA5dmBVc9

I need to go find a campsite for the night. More to come later.

Matt

5 comments:

  1. Sssssssnake!

    I love danger noodles (I think my first wild sighting was that tiny black garter at the fells when we hiked together a few years back!)

    Stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Pics! keep posting and don’t be a badass and try to steal the rattler :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to you to go find railroad tracks to photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you know it. See also the party under I-10 and the freight tracks in my latest post

      Delete